Monday, February 17, 2020

Sewers log: 5 cups of tea

A few years ago, I saw this photo someone in the Pinterest rabbit hole.  I have no idea where the original shirt is from, but I loved the idea of combining denim and a pussy bow. 


Last year when I planned the pieces I wanted to sew, I incorporated the shirt into my plans.  I had some denim in my stash from JoAnn's, I honestly don't even remember why I purchased the denim.  I combined vintage Simplicity 8594 with the bow from view F from Vogue 9029 (which is also Vogue 9772 for some reason).   I love the sleeves from the vintage Simplicity top and they are my new favorite sleeves and will have to go on pretty much all future tops. I wanted an exposed zipper on the back neck, it is also functional so I can fit this bad boy over my head.   






I did make a couple of adjustments to the bodice, the patternmaker apparently has really perky boobs, mine - not so much. So I adjusted the dart placement. I did not cut the original pattern, I copied the pattern on some nonfusible interfacing and then slashed and repositioned the dart.  In the photo below you can see the plus in a circle is where my apex is and you can see the dart ain't quite there.  To make a bust dart adjustment, I drew a rectangle around the dart and lowered it to the reality of my apex.  It is really easy to do and I recommend checking all dart placements before sewing a final garment so your boobs don't look wonky.  







2 comments:

  1. I just love the look of the pussy bow in denim! Only five cups of tea? Impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! This shirt came together quickly, not much hand sewing! LOL

    ReplyDelete